The internet connects us to a world of information and can be used to create amazing oppurtunities for learning piano online. There are lots of online training programs out there for learning piano, and you can learn a lot from them and even connect and learn with others in online communities.
Here i have selected what i believe to be the best programs out there, please browse whats available in the menus and find what program best suits you.
So what do you need to get started…
All you need is a little time, patience, willingness to learn… and a piano/keyboard.
Most of the programs featured here work best with MIDI, so its good to have a keyboard or piano that is MIDI enabled.
MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface and allows a wide variety of electronic musical instruments, computers and other related devices to connect and communicate with one another. As long as your piano/keyboard and computer has a MIDI port all you then need is a cable to connect them together and you’re done!
The benefits of online training vs an offline piano teacher:
- You have the freedom to practice at anytime that suits you and at your own pace vs. waiting a week for another lesson or feeling pressured into getting your moneys worth.
- Take time repeating lessons as many times as you need to without paying again vs. paying for repeat lessons each time you see your teacher.
- Receive answers to your questions as you need them through email or other support tools such as online communities vs. waiting once a week to ask your teacher questions.
- Have access to your lesson and learning tools such as video and audio vs. trying to remember what your teacher said during your lesson time.
- You will naturally boost self disciple as you teach yourself vs. becoming dependent upon a teacher to tell you what to do.
- You will develop your own judgment of when a song is acceptable vs. relying on a teacher to tell you if you passed. Believe me, you will be harder on yourself than a teacher is (they are being paid to be nice remember!)
- Gain solid confidence that you really do know what you are learning vs. feeling lost without your teacher as a security blanket.
- Interact with other students through forums and blogs vs. never having a peer in private lessons.
- And finally, you can never quit online piano lessons because once you own the program you love, you will always own it and be able to refresh yourself later, or even relearn it later if you wish.